1.25kg/2lb 12oz lean leg of lamb
salt and freshly ground pepper
knob of butter, for greasing
large bunch of fresh mint (about 40g/1½oz)
large bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley (about 40g/1½oz)
1 lemon, juice only
4 tbsp olive oil
½ lemon, zest and juice
600g/1lb 5oz plain yoghurt
1 red onion, finely chopped
pinch of sugar
- Place the lamb in a large freezer bag. Coat it with the buttermilk, and fasten the bag securely. Leave in the fridge to marinate overnight or preferably for 24-48 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Place the lamb with the buttermilk and 200ml/7fl oz water in a deep casserole or ovenproof pan. Season with plenty of salt and pepper. Cook the lamb in the oven for 3½ hours, basting it every hour or so with the cooking liquid. When done, remove from the oven and cover with lightly greased aluminium foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- For the salad, tip the buckwheat into a large saucepan and dry-toast for about five minutes, or until it is golden-brown and has a nutty fragrance. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Tear the mint and parsley leaves into the buckwheat, add a pinch of salt, the lemon juice and oil. Toss together then set aside.
- To make the yoghurt sauce, mix the lemon zest and juice with the yoghurt, onion and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, flake the meat and serve on top of the buckwheat salad with the yoghurt sauce drizzled over.