1/2 cup (125ml) water
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar, plus 1/3 cup extra
2 tsp vanilla extract
300 ml cream
1 3/4 cups (430ml) milk
Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
- In a medium saucepan, stir the sugar and the water over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Brush sides of saucepan with a wet pastry brush to remove any undissolved sugar crystals. Bring to the boil; boil uncovered, without stirring (pan can be tilted), until mixture is a deep caramel colour. Remove from heat and pour toffee into a deep 20cm round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, extract and extra sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream and milk; bring to boil. Whisking constantly, pour hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Strain mixture through a sieve into the cake pan.
- Place the cake pan in a medium baking dish; add enough boiling water to come half way up the side of the cake pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set. Remove cake pan from the baking dish; cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using your fingers, gently ease creme caramel away from side of pan. Place serving plate on top of creme caramel, then quickly invert. Serve with fresh strawberries, if desired.