570ml/1 pint milk (2 1/3 cups)
55ml/2fl oz single cream
1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, yolks only
30g/1oz caster sugar
2 level tsp cornflour
- Bring the milk, cream and vanilla pod to simmering point slowly over a low heat.
- Remove the vanilla pod (wash the vanilla pod, dry and store in jar with caster sugar to make vanilla sugar).
- Whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl until well blended.
- Pour the hot milk and cream on to the eggs and sugar, whisking all the time with a balloon whisk.
- Return to the pan, (add vanilla extract if using) and over a low heat gently stir with a wooden spatula until thickened.
- Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once.
- To keep hot, stand the jug in a pan of hot water and cover the top with cling film to prevent skin forming.